(This post contains affiliate links with Money Saving Mom.)
A few weeks ago I got an email introducing the Make Over Your Mornings online course written by Crystal Paine of Money Saving Mom.
At first I wasn’t sure it was something I needed. I’ve been reading Money Saving Mom for several years, and have picked up – and implemented – much of Crystal’s advice on goal setting, time management, and solid routines.
But the more I looked it over, the more intrigued I became, and began to wonder if perhaps I might pick up something new, or gain inspiration to freshen up my approaches for greater success.
And, I suspected she would likely tackle my greatest personal challenge to long-term success: consistently getting enough sleep each night.
So I decided to purchase the course and got way more than I had hoped for!
I didn’t have to wonder about the sleep topic for very long – she jumped right into it on just the second day.
But, do you know what? It wasn’t a kick-in-the-pants affair. In her upbeat, encouraging, and non-condemning style, Crystal left me totally excited about getting to bed at a reasonable hour so that I would have the energy to really enjoy my morning routine.
As the course progressed, the excitement grew, and when I woke each morning, I was eager to get up, get my morning mug of happiness, and get to the next day’s lesson.
Day after day I was encouraged and began to see that I did indeed have a lot to gain from going through the course.
What I got:
- Fresh and positive inspiration to hone the skills of goal-setting and time management that I had already put into place.
- True to the spirit of the course, each day’s lesson was concise and manageable. I never had trouble getting a lesson finished – even when our family took a 4-day, 600-mile trip from home during the time I was working through the course.
- A friendly cheerleader who positively urged me forward each day.
- Lots of great extra resources to add to the lessons – if I had time; no condemnation or loss of course quality if I didn’t.
- A fresh perspective on goal-setting that equipped me to being again setting meaningful and attainable goals right then – instead of waiting until January.
How has this made positive changes in my life?
- a clean kitchen at night: ready for the next day – This is a tough one for our household of (currently) 8 people – and with no dishwasher. But, this simple evening routine habit has made a huge impact in my morning disposition.
- goals again – I’m a wonderful goal-setting in terms of quantity; not so good in terms of attainment. Why? Because I’m so given to attempting to do everything! Life is awesome, big, and beautiful, and the opportunities to do and be are limitless. However, I’m not. I’m learning to be far more realistic so that I can succeed.
- identified wasted time and gained better efficiency – When I began shaping up my evening and morning routines, I discovered areas that I was actually wasting time that I could harness for better things.
- more deliberate – With routines and goals in place, I’ve noticed that I’m much more deliberate about the things I spend time on – and especially making sure I have some reasonable flex-time built into each day.
- better rested! – I could write an entire post on this one – it’s a very real struggle for me. I so tend to try to pack just a bit more in, and sleep is always the loser in that arrangement. The real key for me has been that little chime on my phone at 8:00 PM each evening. That’s when I begin my bedtime routine, which gives me an hour to accomplish my tasks and oversee the younger children’s routines without being hurried.
- waking up excited about the day – I’m not exactly a person who wants to throw a pillow over my head and hide each morning, but this course has given me a new excitement for each day. I get to get up and work through my morning routine.
- creating a workable to-do list – Probably my second-greatest benefit from the course was a makeover of my to-do list method. Crystal’s tips seemed like such simple things, yet I wasn’t doing them and spent many days frustrated because my day ended before I had crossed off the last – or last 5 – item(s) on my list. “Behind” was a word my family was, unfortunately, very familiar with. After putting into practice 6 key actions that I gleaned from this lesson, I’ve already realized a difference in my level of calm over my to-do list. It’s doable – and I’m not moving at breakneck speed all day either.
While I thought every single day of this course was valuable, a few were especially meaningful for me:
Day 2 – Your Morning Begins the Night Before: If you are naturally a night owl, you know what I mean when I talk about a fresh adrenalin rush somewhere between the hours of 10:00 PM and 1:00 AM. But, that doesn’t work so well past 40-ish (trust me!) when you still have early morning responsibilities to fulfill.
As trite as this sounds, I fully believe: If I can do this, you can too! I love staying up late, but better love the traction I can gain on realizing my goals when I get up and get going.
Day 5 – How Setting Goals Can Change Your Life: As I mentioned above, this lesson inspired me to jump back into goals – even in June. Although all of the “extras” are truly extra, I would highly encourage you to find 30 minutes when you can watch Michael Hyatt’s video that is linked at the end of this lesson – and be prepared to take a simple list of notes outlining his 10 goal-setting mistakes to avoid – an excellent resource!
Day 8 – Creating a To Do List that Serves, Not Strangles: One of my favorite and most impacting lessons.
Day 10 – Crush the Mindset of “I Can’t Do It”: Really, don’t we all struggle with this to one degree or another? I loved this lesson that challenged me to stretch beyond my comfort zone. Very inspiring!
I’m so excited about this course, and that’s why I’m endorsing it and recommending that you get a copy and see for yourself just how freeing, encouraging, and empowering it can be for you too.
Plus, because you have unlimited access, you can move at your own pace and review at any time. I plan to review this course again annually – it’s that valuable!
If you’ve never even considered setting a single life goal or living each day with intention, already have a solid plan of action in place and are realizing success, or even somewhere in between, there’s something valuable in this course for you! Click the link below to find out more and get started Making Over Your Mornings!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links. The price you pay, however, will not be affected. Thank you for supporting To Work with My Hands. View my full disclosure here.