Do you see what I see?
The moment I saw this old clock at the thrift store, I thought of a sunflower.
I’m sure it was a lovely clock in its time (which, by the way was 1962 – stamped right on the back in Roman numerals). Its previous beauty was lost on me, but I did see plenty of potential in its humble $3 self.
I could hardly wait to get started on the transformation.
(some links are affiliate links)
The first business was to get rid of that face and the clock mechanism from the back, then set to work on the body.
Although it looks a lot like real wood…it isn’t.
I gave it a good sanding anyway with 220 grit sandpaper. It had a pretty high sheen and I knew painting it would be an adventure for sure.
Because who’s seen a brown sunflower lately?
It sanded out quite nicely.
Painting was a different story though. It took three coats to get good coverage, but when you love to paint anyway, it was nothing but fun.
And, I got to play around with mixing a few colors to get the highlights just the way I wanted them.
These paints are so rich and gorgeous, don’t you think? I used Deco Art’s multi-surface satin in School Bus, Pumpkin Patch, and Coffee Bean, and added in a little Primary Yellow acrylic that I had in my paint basket.
I started by pouring a puddle of each (minus the Coffee Bean) on a plate and then loading the brush with all three colors. This is similar to the mottle technique I used for the wood pillar candle stand, but using long strokes instead of swirls.
After the three coats were dry, I lightly dry brushed some of the Coffee Bean on and smeared it around with my fingers. This way I got the presence of a new color without actually seeing it as a separate color. The result is a more natural shading and highlighting – so much more appealing than a single strong color.
For the seeds in the center, I used these awesome beads by Bead Gallery that I found at Michael’s.
I only used one coat of Coffee Bean for the center. It covered pretty well since the surface was already brown, and I was planning to cover it with the beads anyway. I just wanted a good background in case any ended up peeping through, and I also used it along the top edge of the center section.
Adding the beads was certainly a hot glue project! Round and round I went, adding glue then beads, until I reached the center. For those pesky clockwork holes, I taped a couple of pieces of cardboard onto the recessed area on the back and gave them a touch of paint before adding the final beads.
A February Sunflower
A coat of poly for weather protection and…ya’ll, I’ve got a sunflower in February! 🙂
I love how it perks up the otherwise dreary February landscape. Everything I have growing looks dull and dreary (except for this amazing catnip!). It’s time for some color, don’t you think?
Sunflowers are one of my favorites, and even if I don’t have them in the garden yet, I can still enjoy a bright reminder of the coming growing season – and it all started with a discarded old clock.
Upcycles are Repurposing projects just make my heart sing! If they’re you’re thing too then I think you’ll love hanging around with us here. Sign up for the weekly newsletter to get news and information you won’t always find on the blog, the opportunity to enter subscriber-only giveaways, notification of each new post, and the FREE Upcycle Checklist: 5 Quick Tips for Awesome Projects.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links. The price you pay, however, will not be affected. Thank you for supporting To Work With My Hands. View my full disclosure here.