Skip the traditional wreath and make this gorgeous tile address hanger for your front door instead. And the best part…you can update it for every season.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links. The price you pay, however, will not be affected. Thank you for supporting To Work with My Hands by using these links when you decide to purchase these products. View my full disclosure here.
You may remember that we had a very exciting Labor Day at our house.
Actually, cleaning is good. We accomplished a lot and I found a few treasures that were perfect for some new projects.
Like these basic white tiles – left behind by the previous owners.
I found a tall stack of them in the corner of our garden shed. When I saw them, I knew I had found exactly what I was looking for.
For a few weeks now I’ve been thinking about our front door. With fall decor going up, I wanted to add something on the door too But I didn’t want to just throw a traditional wreath on in, and I really liked the idea of including our house numbers.
These tiles were perfect for a DIY door hanger.
I started by gathering up a few more supplies:
It was a great excuse to visit Hobby Lobby and I found some wooden house numbers, a floral foam block, and joy of joys – metal decor was 50% off last week!
These gracious former owners also left behind all the paint they had used in and on the house, so I grabbed the door paint and painted the wooden numbers to match.
After they dried, I attached them to the tiles using gorilla glue. I love that stuff!
It took me four days to finish this project. I love to give gorilla glue a full 24 hours to set, but the greater truth is that’s how I roll.
A little here; a little there – tucked in between math lessons and laundry, sweeping floors and running errands. Being time-crunched doesn’t have to keep you from creating something you love. You just have to learn to be patient. 🙂
So after the numbers were well set, I mounted the tiles to the metal hanger. And that got to sit in the corner for another day…
Before I added the foam block, I realized that its green color was going to show through the tiles, so I covered one side with white card stock, then attached it.
And let it set too…
Finally, I got to the fun part and stuck some fall sprays into the foam block, attached a ribbon, and hung it on the door using a Gecko Tech Microsuction hanger. I love this strong little hanger, and it’s just perfect for glass doors.
I did add some felt furniture discs to the back of the foam block to level it and keep it from banging against the glass each time the door gets slammed.
Unfortunately, doors get slammed at our house. It’s just a boy thing.
I really love this project, but my very favorite thing about it is that I can easily change the flowers with each season.
Update: Don’t miss the Christmas Edition and Spring Edition.
I still have lots of tiles left though. Time to find another project! 🙂