Looking for a way to dress up your front door this season, but don’t want a traditional wreath? Make your own custom door hanger with ceramic tiles!
Remember those tiles I found in our garden shed over the summer?
Using them to make a house number door hanger was exactly what I was looking for. I certainly wanted something on the door, but a little different from an average wreath.
With fall approaching, a rich arrangement of fall colored flowers and leaves was perfect.
I designed it to be super simple to change out the floral, and it took me about half an hour to update its look for Christmas.
Since I had a request with the fall post to share the details of the floral arrangements, I thought this would be a great time to show you just how easy it is!
I started by removing all of the fall flowers, berries, leaves, and the ribbon. I held onto the ribbon to use as a guide for the new one, so I could skip the trial and error step of finding the right length.
Here’s the Christmas floral I used:
pine and berry boughs,
smaller pine sprays with some light flocking,
and some small poinsettia blooms. I found all three at Michael’s – all half price or less.
The pine and berry boughs were too long, and would reach beyond the edges of the door frame. So, I removed the lowest 4 pieces, then cut the remaining stem.
Next, I pushed the stems into each side of the foam. With some floral arranging, working in groups of 3 works wonderfully, but for this one, balance is best. So just as with equations, if you do it to one side…you have to do it to the other too! (My kids would roll their eyes here…) 🙂
And those 4 lower branches that I cut off – they’ll show up later.
I took the smaller pine boughs and cut them into three separate sections each.
I pushed them into the top of the foam, at an angle toward the sides.
Next, I used the large pine cone and needle sections that I cut from the largest sprays.
They fit in the top too, right in front of the flocked boughs.
A couple more of the flocked stems went right on top – straight up.
Then the final two…
filled in the last gaps. Now, for some fullness:
Those last three parts of the long boughs that I cut off worked perfectly.
I added a berry spray, and the two pine needle pics to the top on each side, balancing their location.
Finally, I added some of the poinsettia blooms across the top. I just clipped them from the main stem in groups of two, then poked them in: one set above each tile, a set between each tile, and a set on each side of the outer tiles.
A shiny gold ribbon, and our door hanger was back in place, all decked out for Christmas!
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like: How to Make a Cute and Easy Tile Planter