Adding a splash of warm spring color to the front door is such a welcome sight, and these hanging succulents in a thrifted metal basket do it well!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links. The price you pay, however, will not be affected. Thank you for supporting To Work with My Hands. View my full disclosure here.
Who’s ready for spring with me?
Spring is my favorite season. I start getting ready for it as soon as the Christmas tree comes down.
Here’s the sad truth:
My front door has been bare since the DIY Tile Christmas Decor came down. I had all kinds of intentions to get some sort of winter-themed wreath or flowers up but it just never happened.
And since winter never really happened here anyway (and I’m not complaining), I’m just moving right along to spring.
Want to join me?
This could quite possibly be the easiest upcycle ever. If you need a quick project fix, this just might be it.
Six simple steps are all it took to transform a sad little tin hanging basket into a spring succulent hanger for that bare front door:
I found the hanging tin at a thrift store a few months ago.
It fit the bill:
Plus, I thought it might be a nice piece to add a bit of spring flair to the front door – maybe with some pastel blooms spilling over the rim.
In the meantime, I found a rack of gorgeous faux succulents, and my plans changed – which often happens with these projects.
Paint and Paint
Of course, the first thing this piece needed was a new paint job. I gave it two coats of Rust-Oleum semi-gloss white and it was immediately better. I love how paint can do that!
By the way, this was accomplished in four little sessions of running outside to the cardboard pallet lying in my yard, between making breakfast, getting the kids together and ready to go to co-op, and gathering all the stuff we needed for the day.
If I wait until I have “free” time to work on a project, it will never happen. This is Pocket Time at its best.
For the second paint job, I grabbed a few bottles of Deco Art acrylic craft paints and snagged the kids’ watercolor brush for a little dry brushing. If you aren’t familiar with that technique, it’s super simple:
- Load the brush with paint
- Blot off nearly all of the paint on a paper towel or piece of paper (I just use the piece of card stock I pour the paint on)
- Paint with the “dry” brush
An added benefit of dry brushing: it dries almost immediately.
Aren’t those faux succulents so gorgeous? I love all the shades of green that just shout springtime, but I had to throw in a little burgundy too – so pretty!
The floral foam was just a bit too long, so I gave the edges a trim job until it fit into the opening. This took less than a minute – literally.
Here’s a good southern term for ya: Poke!
Push, place, insert…call it whatever you like.
I just “poked” it in until I had a snug fit and it was just below the rim.
Starting with the focal plant in the center, I used the remaining pieces to balance the design on each side, similar to the Christmas Door Hanger.
Then I just popped some pieces of moss in the spaces to cover the foam, and to add a little more interest.
I’m still using the Gecko Tech hanger I bought last year for the tile hanger. It’s a perfect hanger for glass or metal doors that you can’t put a nail into.
And now my front door is all dressed up with gorgeous hanging succulents.
Update: To keep the hanger from banging against the door, I stuck a couple of small, round, adhesive felt furniture pads on the back bottom corners. Works perfectly! (Thank you, Joan, for bringing that up in the comments.) 🙂