Have you ever wondered which decoupage glue you should use for your project? Download this handy list so you can always pick the right formula.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links. The price you pay, however, will not be affected. Thank you for supporting To Work with My Hands. View my full disclosure here.
Once upon a time decoupage glue was…decoupage glue!
It was pretty simple.
But times have changed, friend!
Now there’s a whole family of different formulas to choose from – each designed for a specific project type in mind.
Having so many choices can be a little overwhelming, especially if you’re new to decoupage.
But the good news is that each of them has specific material they’re best for, so you can know your project will turn out fabulous.
Before you launch your next amazing one, arm your creative self with all the details so you can choose the very best formula to use!
Here’s a run-down of the top two brands, seventeen formulas, and details on how they work:
(Get your FREE downloadable guide below.)
Decoupage Glue Brands
And yes, it has been around since 1967.
So make that 52 years, huh?
While it may have outgrown its name (did you know it’s short for “modern decoupage”?), it has by no means outgrown its use.
Since its humble 2-formula beginning, it has grown to a complete family of formulas for nearly every kind of project you can imagine.
DecoArt also has an impressive line of decoupage glue formulas for a wide range of projects, and works as glue, sealer, and finish too. It’s just one of the many large lines of high-quality crafting products from DecoArt.
- Matte – Best for projects you want to have a basic, non-shiny and no-glare finish. You get protection, but with a flat finish. As a basic finish, it’s suitable for a range of projects and is more about finish preference than performance. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Ultra Matte Chalk – Created specifically for chalk painted projects to perfectly match the ultra-matte finish of chalk paints. Use this formula for projects with a chalk paint background for a seamless and invisible finish. (Mod Podge)
- Satin – Choose the satin finish for a hint of sheen. It isn’t as flat as the matte finish, but neither is bright and glossy. It’s another basic finish that can be used for a variety of projects. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Gloss – This is the classic, shiny finish most people think of with decoupage. It dries with a high sheen and easily resists smudges and stains. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Paper – Designed specifically for paper projects to prevent wrinkling that is common with a heavier formula. Available in both matte and gloss finishes, it’s also acid-free, to protect your project from yellowing over time. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Fabric – Dries to a strong-bond between fabrics, and is washable. It can also be applied to fabric and allowed to dry before decoupaging onto other materials to prevent fraying. (Mod Podge – dries to a gloss finish & DecoArt – dries to a matte finish.)
- Outdoor – Finishes and protects your outdoor projects with a glossy sheen. Perfect for terra cotta, wood, stone, and metal. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Napkin – Perfect for delicate and lightweight napkin decoupage and also works for tissue paper. Dries to a matte finish. (DecoArt)
- Glitter – Adds sparkle to your finished projects with light or high glitter content. Great for holiday or jewelry projects, and dries to a glossy finish. (Choose DecoArt’s Crystal Glitter or Mod Podge’s Sparkle for a light effect, and Mod Podge’s Extreme Glitter for high glitter.)
- Antique – Instantly add a vintage look to your projects with this formula that dries to a matte finish. Add additional layers to achieve a deeper aged appearance. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Dishwasher Safe – Decorate glass, ceramics, metal, plastics, and porcelain that are dishwasher safe! Dries to a high sheen, but does require curing before using in the dishwasher. (Mod Podge & DecoArt)
- Photo Transfer – Transfer copied images to wood, fabric, plastic, or glass with this specialty formula. Works well with laser printed images. Dries to a smooth finish with no tackiness. (DecoArt)
- Furniture – Available in matte, satin, or gloss, this formula is specifically designed for heavily used furniture surfaces. Dries to a durable finish. (Mod Podge)
- Hard Coat – Use this finish on functional pieces that get lots of use. It dries to a solid, satin finish and is designed to withstand heavy use while providing protection to your decoupaged surface. (Mod Podge)
- Wash-Out for Kids – Perfect for crafting with kids and easily washes out of fabrics – even after it dries. (Mod Podge)
- Glow-in-the-Dark – Drying to a gloss finish, this fun formula is perfect for outdoor nighttime events. Expose your finished project to light to “charge” the effect, then enjoy this unique finish. (Mod Podge)
- Pearl – Just as the name implies, this formula dries to a smooth, pearly finish with a glossy sheen. Great for holiday projects.
Now you have all the information you need for your next decoupage project to turn out fabulous!
Get the Downloadable Formula List FREE when you sign up to receive To Work with My Hands email updates.