If thrift shopping weren’t fun enough by itself, there’s National Thrift Shop Day to make it even better! Here are 5 things you need to know about a Thrift Shopper’s custom holiday.
What is National Thrift Shop Day?
We all know that thrift shopping is an adventure. Getting a great deal is a sweet extra but every year it gets even sweeter. On this celebratory day of thrifting, shoppers can snag even better-than-normal deals when many shops offer special pricing in observance of the day.
Each shop sets its own standard for celebrating and that means there’s a range of creative spins on what you can expect. Here are a few examples:
- Thrift Shop Crawl
- Half off pricing throughout the day
- Special activities and coupons
- Educational focus on how thrifting benefits the community
When is National Thrift Shop Day?
The Thrift Shopper’s unique shopping holiday happens in the United States every year on August 17. If you’ve never celebrated, this year is a great one to get in on since it falls on Saturday – an already popular thrift shopping day.
Although it isn’t an “official” national holiday, it is set for the same day every year so you can go ahead and mark your calendar.
There are lots of thrift shops to check out, from the large, national organizations that are affiliated throughout the country, to smaller shops that benefit targeted local charities and ministries.
- Goodwill is a great place to start on National Thrift Shop Day. Each year they celebrate with a variety of deals and offers that vary by location. Some past promotions have included percentages off, special pricing on individual types of items, and fashion shows.
- Salvation Army locations are in most cities and they have historically been actively involved in celebrating the day with events including percentages off, snacks, and unique creative deals, like bringing in a vintage photo to receive a specific discount. Check for promotions at your local shop.
- Smaller local charity and ministry shops may or may not participate in the event. Call ahead to ask and get details.
How to Participate
Of course, shopping for the better-than-normal great deals is the #1 way to celebrate the day, but when you snag your finds, be sure to share them!
Here are some established social media tags to use when you share:
And if you have even more thrifty energy, you could launch your own celebration by hosting a National Thrift Shop Day party, complete with thrift decor and thrift find swap game!
How to Find a Thrift Shop
Be ready to hit the stores early on August 17, by finding the locations you’ll visit ahead of time. Here are some resources to help:
- thethriftshopper.com is a fantastic resource! Enter your zip code to load a directory of charity-driven shops in your area, with address and phone number, store hours, and distance.
- Visit Goodwill.org for shopping tips and ideas, locations, or to get more information on the organization.
- If getting to a thrift store on August 17 is a challenge, you can still get great deals by shopping online. Visit shopgoodwill.com to check out their selection of thrift items for sale.
So now that you’ve got the info, it’s time to make your plans to celebrate Thrift Shopper’s most exciting day of the year!
Enjoy fun shopping experiences, grab some great deals, and be sure to share your finds.